For many generations, our ancestors served as the head of Kujyu village in Wakayama (At present, Kujyu, Koyaguchi-cho, Hamshimoto-shi). Agura’s predecessor, Kujyu-Kan Ryokan (Inn), was named after the Kujyu village.
Kujyu is a historical piece of land believed to have been visited by Emperor Saga on his way to Koyasan. Footsteps of the Emperor remain in the area, where a fall and a river have been posthumously named after him.
The Emperor Saga was a stalwart supporter of Kukai (Kobodashi), and granted Kukai (Kobodaishi) permission to establish a monastic complex at Koyasan. In return, Kukai offered the Emperor “Kanjyo”, an important ceremony in becoming a Shingon Buddhist.
Our family tree indicates connections to the Emperor Saga; as the head of Kujyu village, we believe that our ancestors served Emperor Saga during his visits.
In 1890, our ancestors opened “Kujyukan” Ryokan, an inn to house travelers on their sacred pilgrimage to Koyasan. They believed that it was their mission to create an Inn for people who were on their journey to healing and enlightenment. The Inn provided delicious foods and comfortable rooms where travelers can relax. Our ancestors were always thankful…thankful to the gods, and thankful to the customers that they have met through “En” (fate)
Today, our ancestors’ hopes and thoughts remain in Agura’s foods and Omotenashi service, where we continue to serve foods made of fresh ingredients that are gentle for the body and soul .